I really have no idea why people celebrate Halloween; just that it is great fun. We all actually need the slightest excuse to dress up and walk the streets drinking and eating all the sweet we possibly could!
Here are a few random facts about the truth behind these festivities:
- “Halloween” is short for “Hallows’ Eve” or “Hallows’ Evening,” which was the evening before All Hallows’ (sanctified or holy) Day or Hallowmas on November 1. In an effort to convert pagans, the Christian church decided that Hallowmas or All Saints’ Day (November 1) and All Souls’ Day (November 2) should assimilate sacred pagan holidays that fell on or around October 31.
- Ireland is typically believed to be the birthplace of Halloween. (I really don’t know why but it is always good to know!)
- Scottish girls believed they could see images of their future husband if they hung wet sheets in front of the fire on Halloween. Other girls believed they would see their boyfriend’s faces if they looked into mirrors while walking downstairs at midnight on Halloween. (HAHAHAHA!!!!)
- Both, Salem, Massachusetts, and Anoka, Minnesota, are the self-proclaimed Halloween capitals of the world. The first Jack O’Lanterns were actually made from turnips.
- Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween. (BOO!)
ESSIE FISHNET STOCKINGS and NYC BLACK
Halloween nail art is something that has gone viral. Even if you have the simplest of costumes on, a freaky design on your fingertips can dress up any outfit! I chose to go for a quirky look with dripping blood with a contrast of ‘cute’ eyes to lighten the mood 😛
Hope you enjoy your Trick or Treating tonight!